Friday, March 12, 2010

A Dog's Life





I'm an animal lover. Who can resist a smiling face like this one in the photo? Meet Schmootski, a.k.a Bubba, my mom's Peek-a-poo. This is a prime example of animals that really have a good life. I spoil my dog rotten. While having dinner with a friend, we were discussing the stresses of life. He said that he was lying awake the other night, when he looked over at his dog and realized that some animals have just got it made.



Why do we spoil them rotten? Is it because they give love unconditionally? Is it because they listen to you and don't talk back? I don't know what it is, but I have often said in my next life, I want to be a dog in my own home. I grew up with dogs in the house, and I 'm starting to wonder what it was that made us spoil them. My parents had two children to spoil, wan't that enough? I suppose it would have it's drawbacks, but if I could wash away the stress in my life and just have a dog's life, I would.



Take Bubba , for instance. Her day starts around 8:00 a.m., when she decides to roll out of bed, which is really my parents bed, but she fails to recognize this. She strolls into the kitchen, hoping that someone will share their breakfast. Then she goes to bask in the sun that shines through the patio door. Perhaps, followed by a little nap. Then, if she's lucky, she takes a ride in the car, to the bank or the gas station. She insists on driving. She must sit on the driver's lap. If she goes through the drive through at the bank, she gets a cookie. Yawn. . . well that must have been exhausting because she goes home, and curls up on a recliner for a nap. When rejuvenated, she goes for a walk. This is followed by yet another nap. She wakes up for dinner, and then goes back to her spot on the recliner for another nap before bed. What a life. Now you understand why she smiles for the camera.


Even my own dog is spoiled rotten. He sleeps in our bed, despite my husband's complaints that he stretches out wherever he feels like it. He has breakfast, is driven to "doggy day care" (Grandma's house), where he plays all day and is spoiled. Then he gets picked up after school, comes home and plays and chews his bones and off to bed. This is the life.


I suppose there are drawbacks such as waiting to be let out, or relying on someone to feed you, but it sure beats getting up and dealing with the daily stress of human life. Not all animals have it this good, but that's why I wouldn't mind my second life as a dog, as long as it was in a loving home.

No comments:

Post a Comment