Friday, March 5, 2010

Facebook - a disaster in the works!


Can someone please explain the Facebook frenzy to me? My friends, my sister, my husband, students seem to be attached to it, and I just don't get it. I don't understand how it is a way to reconnect with people. If you really cared about a person, you would have kept in contact with them over the years. If, out of the blue, you decide you want to talk to someone after five, ten, even twenty years, then pick up the phone and call them. I feel like Facebook just allows people to secretly spy on your life. If there was a way to hide from your past, there isn't anymore. There is no privacy involved. I don't have a Facebook page, yet my picture appears on other people's pages. I don't want to be "tagged" as they call it, to anyone for public display. If you want to see me or talk to me, pick up a phone or look me up, there is probably a reason we didn't keep in contact.

The trouble caused by Facebook has been endless. Teen alcohol abuse, inappropriate photos, people talking trash. . . and today, I heard the best, Facebook Divorce. It's bad enough that people say things or do things that they shouldn't, but to post it for the world to see, opens a can of worms. Truth or not, Facebook has created bad images for people. People have lost jobs, gptten suspended, and ended relationships because of it. If people stayed off Facebook, they wouldn't be posting their business publicly to be scrutinized. The next thing yo know, someone maks a comment about a photo and words get ugly, then who knows what happens from there. The end result is disaster.

To those who are addicted to Facebook, tell me why. You don;t have a phone, or don't see people, which is it? If that's the case there is email. Direct it personally, not publicly. True, you may be able to post information to many people at one time, but email works as well, and this way it is directed only to those who you want viewing it. I am told you can block your Facebook and select who can view it, but doesn't that defeat the purpose of making yourself available to reconnect? I will continue to see people in person, or keep in touch via email or telephone. The Facebook world is just more trouble than it is worth!

No comments:

Post a Comment